Segel and Stoller’s new Muppet movie gets a 2011 release date and more details
Listen, I love the Muppets as much as the next child of the eighties, but I wish to heaven above that I was writing about a Fraggle Rock movie right now. Some dreams are better left as that, I guess - just dreams. But, oh, my God, Muppet movie! Yes!
The long talked-about new Muppets movie, penned by Apatowians Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller, will be directed by James Bobin (who has previously directed such fun television fare as Flight of the Conchords and Da Ali G Show) and will hit screens on December 25, 2011. Screw Christmas, this is our new holiday. But what can we expect from such a gift?This is what we do know:
1. The film will star the Muppets we know and love - the classic gang, headed up by Kermit and his unhinged lady love (and personal hero), Miss Piggy.
2. We will also meet a new Muppet!
3. Segel will star as the main human, named Gary (charming!).
4. Gary's best friend is the bear Muppet, Walter.
5. The film's plot is said to follow a Gary and Walter-led journey "to defeat the evil Tex Richman, a man who doesn’t find the Muppets funny and thinks he can smell oil beneath their studio." Doesn't think the Muppets are funny? EVILDOER!
6. There will be a bevy of celebrity cameos in the flick. The Playlist got a look at a draft of the script, and they report that the celebrities include "George Clooney, Alec Baldwin, Sean Penn, Chris Rock, Anne Hathaway, Emily Blunt, Mel Brooks, Matt Damon, Norah Jones, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Ben Stiller."
7. We still don't have an official title for the film - it's been referred to as THE MUPPETS, THE GREATEST MUPPET MOVIE EVER MADE, and THE CHEAPEST MUPPET MOVIE EVER MADE (as our buddy Peter over at /Film points out, this is a nod to an old Muppet movie idea).
8. Filming is expected to begin this summer.
What are your hopes for a Muppets film?
Other articles that you might like: